Castel Monastero is a luxury resort in in the middle of the Chianti region, located approximately 30 minutes from Siena. This 11th century monastery has been beautifully converted into a 5* venue in the Tuscan countryside. Stretching out before your eyes are vineyards, woods and fields straight from a Medieval fresco, and a splendid square, with its café, restaurant and even a little church. You’ll soon realise you’re not just in a spectacular room, you're in the heart of the most beautiful part of Italy.
- Return Flights from the UK to either Florence or Pisa
- Private return airport transfers
- Three nights accommodation at Castel Monastero
- Buffet breakfast each morning
- Dinner in the Contrada Restaurant at Castel Monastero
- Wine tasting at a local winery
- Spa treatment at the Castel Monastero Spa
- Access to the “acqua benessere” indoor Spa.
- Dinner in one of the “Contrada” the night before the Palio
- Access to an exclusive apartment in Siena on the day of the Palio
- Cocktails and refreshments throughout the afternoon
- Light buffet dinner following the conclusion of the racing
- A window space overlooking the Piazza del Campo to watch the historic race
Please find below an example travel itinerary. All trips can be tailored to your individual needs so if you wish to extend your trip, please get in touch.
Saturday 14th August 2021
- Depart on a direct flight from the UK to either Florence or Pisa Airport.
- Upon arrival you will be met in the arrivals hall and transferred via private car to Castel Monastero.
- On your arrival evening you will enjoy a dinner in the Contrada Restaurant at Castel Monastero.
Sunday 15th August 2021
- Following breakfast you will be collected mid-morning and transferred to a local winery for a tour followed by wine tasting.
- Upon return to the hotel you can take advantage of your Spa Treatment at the Castel Monastero Spa.
- That evening you will be transferred to one of the “Contrada” to experience a unique dinner the night before the main event.
Monday 16th August 2021
- Today is the day of the Palio - around lunchtime you will be collected and transferred to Siena to take your place in the luxurious apartment overlooking the Piazza del Campo.
- Cocktails and refreshments will be available throughout the afternoon in the build up to the historic race.
- You will then take your spot in your window space overlooking the square to take in the Palio di Siena!
- Following the race you will enjoy a light buffet dinner with a selection of local delicacies.
Tuesday 17th August 2021
- You will have your final morning at leisure before being collected by private car and transferred back to the airport to catch your flight back to the UK.
Your Palio Experience
You will experience the Palio di Siena directly from an apartment overlooking the famous “Piazza del Campo”.
With hospitality included you will enjoy Cocktails and refreshments throughout the afternoon as the anticipation builds for the historic race. You will then taken your place in a window space to watch the action unfold!
Following the conclusion of the race you will be served a light buffet dinner with a selection of local delicacies.
There truly is no better way to experience the excitement of this unique event!
Located approximately 30 minutes outside of Siena, Castel Monastero is a luxury resort in the middle of the Chianti region.
Back in the 11th century it was a monastery surrounded by the peace and quiet of the hills near Siena. It then became a castle and the country residence of the noble Chigi family, and later a romantic hamlet in the Tuscan countryside. The glorious past of Castel Monastero can be seen all around.
To see it for yourself all you have to do is pass through the walls that protect the ancient hamlet and stand in the square lined with splendid buildings. Then step into any of the rooms or suites, or the wonderful detached villa, and revel in the charm, colours and style of real Tuscany.
You are in the heart of Chiantishire. Stretching out before your eyes are vineyards, woods and fields straight from a Medieval fresco, and a splendid square, with its café, restaurant and even a little church. You’ll soon realise you’re not just in a spectacular room, you're in the heart of the most beautiful part of Italy.
Each bedroom is furnished in Tuscan country style with historic materials and precious textiles creating a warm, intimate atmosphere. Every room boasts a magnificent view of the piazza di Castel Monastero or the surrounding countryside.
The resort boasts two restaurants; “Contrada” and “La Cantina”. The former offers gourmet dishes and is a charming, elegant establishment with classic flavours of Tuscan Cuisine. La Cantina has a more relaxed atmosphere and is based in the medieval wine cellars of the resort.
Experiences are based on three nights accommodation in a Superior Room. Room upgrades are available as below. Please enquire for more information.
Superior Room: Included within package
Deluxe Room: £100 supplement per person
Prestige Room: £250 supplement per person
Junior Suite: £400 supplement per person
Executive Suite: £900 supplement per person
Royal Suite: £1750 supplement per person
Culture, emotion, memory: these are all found in fine Tuscan cuisine and its wines. They are also found in Castel Monastero and its gourmet restaurants, “Contrada” and “La Cantina”.
Completing the pleasure of a day at Castel Monastero is the tearoom at the spa with its infusions of aromatic herbs grown on the estate, and a wine bar in which the best aperitifs and the most famous labels of Tuscan wines may be sampled.
Facing the piazza, true to the most authentic Italian tradition, “Contrada” is Castel Monastero’s gourmet restaurant.
The charming, elegant establishment is divided into two lounges, also available for private dinners. On the menu are classic flavours of Tuscan cuisine, re-worked in a modern key. Maximum attention is paid to local products, which are selected directly by our chefs. A delightful tasting of typical wines, oils and cheeses is an opportunity not to be missed.
Dinner in this restaurant is included within your package on your arrival evening.
An evocative setting with a relaxed atmosphere. In the medieval wine cellars of Castel Monastero, where the estate’s Chianti has rested for centuries, a delightful restaurant serving Tuscan cuisine has been opened.
The architecture, with its high vaulted ceilings and visible stone walls, will take you back in time. The dishes are eternal masterpieces of unique Italian tradition: from “pici” pasta with bread and tomato sauce, to Chianina meat. The wine list is extraordinary.
Ideal for a quick lunch or a laid-back dinner.
Experiences are based on return flights with Ryanair from London Stansted to Pisa.
Flights are also available from Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, London City, Bristol and Manchester.
Please enquire for further information on flight options and timings.
All Palio di Siena packages can be booked with a £200 per person deposit.
You can make regular payments towards your balance at any stage but we request that the final balance is paid by 30th April 2021.
Upon Booking: £200 per person deposit
30th April 2021: Final balance