Our Japan Cup experience begins with three nights in Sapporo to discover all that makes Japanese breeding and racing so strong with visit to Darley's training and breeding operations. After this, we fly to Tokyo for five nights in this amazing city to explore what makes it so special including a visit to Mt Fuji and VIP Hospitality at the main raceday!
- Return Flights from London Heathrow to Tokyo
- Return internal flights from Tokyo to Sapporo
- 3 Nights Accommodation at 4* Sapporo Hotel
- 5 Nights Accommodation at 4* Keio Plaza Shinjuku
- Full breakfasts included daily
- Welcome dinner and drinks
- Half-day Sapporo tour including Nijo Fish Market, Sapporo Beer Museum and lunch in Sapporo Beer Garden.
- Guided tour of the famous Paca Paca Farm
- Visit Darley pre-training facility Castle Park
- Stallion Parade at Darley's Stallion Farm
- Visit Darley Shiomi Farm
- Mt Fuji Full Day Tour
- Local Guided Tokyo City Tour
- Grandstand seats Fuchu Racecourse for Saturday races
- VIP Hospitality for Japan Cup including food & drinks
- All travel & race day transfers throughout
- Services of an experienced tour leader
Saturday 20th November 2021
- Depart London Heathrow on Saturday on a flight to Tokyo, scheduled to land on Sunday.
Sunday 21st November 2021
- Connecting in Tokyo Airport you will then board your onward flight to Saporro which takes approximately 90 minutes.
- Make your way to the hotel to check in.
- After checking in we’ll meet at the hotel for some welcome drinks and then head out for a fabulous local dinner so we can get to know each other and plan our week ahead.
Monday 22nd November 2021
- Today is a chance to explore Sapporo as we head up the chairlift of the 1972 Ski Jump for beautiful views over Sapporo, stop in at Nijo Fish Market to try some local Hokkaido giant oysters and visit the local chocolate factory. We’ll then head to the popular Sapporo Beer Garden for lunch. We’ll try a freshly brewed Sapporo beer and a “Genghis Khan”, a local Hokkaido speciality dish of lamb and mutton.
- After a busy first morning, the afternoon is yours for further exploration of Sapporo or to have a rest after the long trip to Japan.
Tuesday 23rd November 2021
- We’re off early today to explore some of the farms that make Japanese racing so strong. We’ll start with a tour of Dr. Harry Sweeney’s famous Paca Paca Farm where 2012 Japanese Derby winner Deep Brillante was bred.
- Then we’re off to visit the pre-training facilities at Darley’s Castle Park where we’ll check out their amazing facilities including an undercover uphill 1400m gallop. We’ll then stop for lunch at a great local restaurant where we’ll enjoy some beautiful Wagyu steaks.
- After lunch, we will visit Darley’s Stallion Complex where they will parade four of their top stallions for us to inspect. Maybe you’ll find something for your mare!
- The evening is yours at leisure to enjoy the Sapporo nightlife and beautiful local food.
Wednesday 24th November 2021
- We check out of our Sapporo hotel and head to Chitose Airport for our flight to Tokyo. We’re staying at the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku, which is the ideal location to explore the delights of the city of Tokyo. Only minutes away from the most popular shopping and entertainment spots, our luxury hotel provides stunning views over central Tokyo.
- The rest of the day is at leisure to rest or explore Tokyo with an optional wander through Shinjuku and then we’ll have a nice local dinner.
Thursday 25th November 2021
- After breakfast, we’re off for a half-day tour of Tokyo with a guide as we get used to the fantastic local trains. coach. We’ll start with fantastic views over Tokyo from the observation deck, see Mt Fuji if the weather is clear, then visit Meiji Jingu Shrine & Harajuku shopping precinct, the world-famous Shibuya crossing before a visit to the old Yanaka Ginza district for some old-world charm and a local feed of Ramen.
- The afternoon is yours to continue exploring Tokyo and do some shopping.
Friday 26th November 2021
- Today we have two tours available for guests, either a full day tour visiting Mt Fuji or a morning tour exploring the amazing Tsukiji Fish Markets, your choice.
Mt Fuji Tour
- The day begins with a 2.5-hour coach journey to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Mt. Fuji, recognizable by its iconic snow-capped peak. On arrival, you’ll ascend to Mt. Fuji’s 5th Station—located halfway up the mountain at 7,545 feet (2,300 meters)—and absorb unobstructed views of Mt. Fuji’s Five Lakes.
- Following Fuji’s 5th Station, you’ll enjoy a traditional Japanese lunch. Then, head into Hakone National Park by coach and take a short sightseeing cruise on Lake Ashi.
- Your final stop is the summit of Mt. Komagatake, reachable by Komagatake Ropeway, one of Japan’s highest aerial tramways. During the ride, enjoy more spectacular views and take a stroll along a mountain trail at the top.
- Return to Tokyo by bullet train. Total tour time 11 hours.
Tsukiji Fish Market Tour
- Take a deep dive into the world of Japanese seafood during this tour of the outer Tsukiji Fish Market. Rub shoulders with Michelin-starred chefs as they shop for ingredients at this sprawling, 80-year-old market for all things aquatic. Investigate the various stalls selling fish, shellfish, and everything in between, and sample Japanese favorites such as sushi, dried bonito, fresh Tuna, and sake. A local guide and all food on the tour are included.
- The evening is yours to explore the amazing Tokyo nightlife and discover their tiny little bars.
Saturday 27th November 2021
- After breakfast, we’re finally off to the races at Fuchu Racecourse. Despite a capacity of 223,000, it will be a quiet day at the track with everyone gearing up for the Cup tomorrow.
- We’ll explore the course, visit the museum, grab a few souvenirs and learn the Japanese betting system.
Sunday 28th November 2021
- This is it, the end of the week and the highlight of the trip, it’s Japan Cup day!! Today’s race meeting at Fuchu is highlighted by the running of Japan’s most prestigious race – the Japan Cup.
- A crowd of 100,000 plus is expected. We’re in a hospitality lounge with a balcony on the sixth floor right near the finish line with all-inclusive food and drinks.
Monday 29th November 2021
- The trip concludes after breakfast today, make your way back to the airport to catch your flight back to the UK.
- Depart Tokyo on Monday, landing back into London the same day.
The Sapporo Hotel boasts a shopping arcade & a spa centre, and is only a 5-minute walk from JR Sapporo Station. It features 7 dining options, a concierge and free Wi-Fi at the entire property.
Rooms at the Sapporo Grand Hotel are air-conditioned and equipped with a TV and a refrigerator. A work desk, slippers and toiletries are provided.
Guests can enjoy a massage or a beauty treatment. The hotel has a Memorial Library, which also serves as a museum.
Fresh seafood, fine wines and international specialities are available at Sapporo Grand’s restaurants. Northern Terrace offers a dessert buffet, while Lobby Lounge Mizar features a fireplace.
Sapporo Grand Hotel is a 2-minute walk from Sapporo Clock Tower and the Oodori Park.
Keio Plaza Hotel
The Keio Plaza Hotel offers sweeping views of the Shinjuku skyline. There are flat-screen TV's with satellite channels, minibar and electric kettle. An en-suite bathroom comes with a bath, free toiletries and hairdryer. Japanese-style yukata robes and slippers are provided for all guests.
The hotel has a wide range of cuisines including Japanese, French, Italian, Chinese and Korean. Sky Lounge Aurora boasts stunning city views from the 45th floor, while Amanogawa Sake Bar pours premium sake.
Extend your stay
If you wish to prolong your stay in Japan, additional nights can be added to the itinerary,
This package is available based on single occupancy for £5,495.00 per person
This experience is inclusive of flights from London Heathrow. Connecting flights are also available from other UK airports, please enquire for more details.
Flights are available with Japan Airlines. Please note that supplements may apply from some airports.
Upgrades to Business/First Class are available upon request.